Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day/Chapter 11-What's The Prize?

I know, I know, where was I yesterday?  I took a day and did absolutely....nothing.  You know what, it felt GREAT!  Not that I am advocating it for everyone, but, I needed a break from life (hey don't we all sometimes?) I took a long bubble bath with my favorite bottle of Pinot Noir, watched my week's worth of One Life to Live, walked to the park and read some fiction, and just all around enjoyed the day.  I wandered around my Brooklyn neighborhood, enjoying the beautiful Victorian architecture of the homes here, and actually stopped to listen to the birds and pay attention to the sensation of the breeze.  Sounds cheezy, right?  It may be, but I loved EVERY MOMENT OF IT!  Then as I was making dinner (carne guisada over rice with a spinach salad and home made corn bread-I love mixing it up!) I felt like I had missed something, like the day wasn't complete. That's when it hit me: I was making the very meal I had made (without the corn bread) on our first date.  I was missing him.  Ugh.  It had sneaked up on me like a murderer in an alley.   How dare I do something for me, that I used to do for him?  My response?   EJECT!  Not only did I dare, I enjoyed it! After dinner I sat in my living room with my cat, finished Friday's episode, and went to bed.  Yes there was a little SOS political drama at the VERY end of the day, but after a VERY deep (and long) sleep, I awoke feeling refreshed and ready to get back into my groove.

I got up this morning (afternoon actually,) went to church (the Catholic one nearby is nice, even though I am what I laughingly call a 'recovering Catholic' and I wanted to stay local) and then I took my walk again after changing out of my 'Church Clothes.'  Yes, I am one of those people who gets dressed for Church.  No jeans for me in there!  After my walk, I came home and had a light breakfast as I read today's chapter.  There is a mantra in there I want to share with you:


Say what you mean and mean what you say, and assume
that unless there's evidence to the contrary that he's doing the same.


There is a great exercise in the book for today, and the part of me that wants to just rush through and get over him completely is peeved I didn't do it yesterday, but the smarter part of me realizes that I did what I have promised to do yesterday-I was kind to myself, and to others when I took a call from a dear dear friend who is going through a rough time in her own life late last night.  She is picking up the book, BTW, and joining me and you on this journey.  I welcome her with open arms to this process, and I ask each of you to send her as much love as you can muster in her pain right now, because she will feel it coming.  She may not know from where until she reads this, but she will feel it.  

Until tomorrow, my friends-I love you, and we are ALL right where we should be-moving forward!


1 comment: